Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Choosing my thoughts carefully.

I am doing contract communications work for an agency in the city. It is a retainer based situation -- which means I commit to a certain number of hours a week. Which is great. But...

There is always that but!

Initially it requires more hours than I wanted to commit -- but their needs at the moment require the extra time. I have several projects on the go and caught myself this morning thinking about how harried and pressured I feel to 'get it all done'.

And then I breathed.

Yes, I have lots to do.

Yes, time is limited.

And yes, I have a tendency to over-commit. What I don't want to do is under-deliver!

I breathe some more.

My fear of under-delivering is a trap. It sucks my energy out. It undermines my confidence in my ability to get the work done.

I breathe.

I have lots to do, which as a consultant is an enviable and great place to be!

Breathe.

I have all the time and the talent and the energy I need to get the work done.

What I don't have time for is giving into my self-defeating game of stressing out, or over, what I need to do.

What I do have time for is organizing my day, my workplan, my time to ensure I give my best at all times.

What I do have time for is moving with grace and ease, being open and forthright, delivering my best and communicating where I'm at in meeting the various deadlines of the tasks before me.

What I do have time for is life.

And this is life. It's all part of the process. Part of what it takes to live the life of my dreams.

I feel better having just written it out. I feel calmer knowing -- I am in control of how I spend my time, and energy. I am in control of what thoughts I give into, what thoughts I cast light on, what thoughts I let empower me to do what I need to do to live my best day yet.

We all do -- have the power to cast light on what works for us and let go of what doesn't.

I am focusing my energy on doing what it takes to have what I want in my life. I am living my Be. Do. Have. Letting go of those things that distract me, that undermine and confuse me.

I am holding onto the things that create value -- and that includes my thinking.

I can't always predict what thoughts skitter into my mind. Depending upon how tired I am, or stressed out, thoughts enter that are a reflection of my state of being. Regardless of the thoughts, however, I can choose what thoughts I give energy to, I shine light on, I give attention to.

I can choose how I let my thoughts determine how I move through my day.

I choose to focus on my thoughts that uplift and empower me to shine today.

Hope you do too!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ABSOLUTELY get what you are saying ... we should collaborate! call me, lets schedule coffee

Cheers,

Mark

Maureen said...

You're great at what you do. That's why you have the contract. It's what Mark Nepo might call a "1 + 1" situation.

Louise Gallagher said...

Will do Mark!

Louise Gallagher said...

Thanks Maureen -- I value your friendship -- you are part of my 1 + 1 solution!

davis said...

one step
two steps
breath and shine
everything done
in it's time
three steps
four steps
now we dance
five steps
six steps
let's do a boogaloo!

i bet that you thought i was going
to rhyme that one...

;-)

talktodiana said...

What a timely reminder for me! Your posts are always so encouraging and I think part of the reason that they are is because you choose to be 'vulnerable' on your blog. One gets the 'I'm not alone in this' feeling. Much success with your contract. I'm sure you'll bless them out of their socks!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Very timely post, as the paper piles up here at work and the phones ring non-stop. I think I will print this out and tape it to my desk to remind me not to give way to the negatives. I can do this! THANKS! :-)

Jennifer Richardson said...

breathe.
you help me get there....I love
the way you process the wisdom
and share so beautifully.
thank you....big glad thanks:)
-Jennifer

Fi said...

As someone smart often tells me - BREATHE and then BREATHE some more.

You will be fine, you will never under deliver (because that's just the sort of person you are) and life is good.

Onward and upward my friend one step at a time