Monday, June 16, 2008

Celebration

Blue sky soars into infinity. Hope rises. Anticipation opens up on a carpet of verdant green, sweeping away winter's barren fields and greyness.

I am alive.

Somewhere in the world right now, people struggle to stave off floods and disasters, wars and tribulations. Somewhere a child cries, a mother weeps and a family loses someone they love. And somewhere, someone celebrates a homecoming, new beginnings, endings, a new love, a new life entering this wondrous place called, our world.

On Saturday night, we held a celebration in honour of my eldest daughter Alexis' birthday and coming home. Friends and family gathered round to raise a glass of cheer in honour of this young woman who brings such joy and light into our lives.

Somewhere before the celebrations began, amidst the preparations, the setting out of cutlery and plates, of cutting flowers and tucking away odds and sods of clutter, of sweeping up dog hair and dust, I stopped and took a breath. I was alone. The girls were out, C.C. was golfing, and my friend BA, who had flown in especially to take in the festivities, was upstairs having a shower. Music played, a stringed piece, something classical. Soft. Inspiring. Sunlight filtered in through the windows. The air was light and fresh. Molly slept on one of the love seats and Ellie lay sprawled on the back deck, her body stretched out to gather up as much of the sun's warmth as she could.

There was a peace to the house. A sense of anticipation. An aura of joy. Gratitude glistened on every surface. I breathed in the smells and the feeling. My mind drifted back to other birthdays, other moments where I readied the house for a celebration. For a time when family and friends gathered to celebrate.

I am blessed.

My memories are filled with celebration. Replete with gratitude. So many moments, so many special times, so many times when we have gathered together to celebrate the friendships and love that bind us. Birthdays and grads. End of exams. End of summer. End of winter. New birth. New life. Life passing on. Life growing up. Life changing.

My memories are not in the things that fill this house, my memories are in the people, the times we have shared, the love that connects us. My memories are a wonderful blanket to wrap myself up in, to wrap around the hearts of those I love. Love is the gift we unwrap every moment of every day and spread out in a banquet of memories to treasure, to share, to celebrate. Love is a wondrous sea beckoning us to dive in and revel in its warmth and blessings.

We celebrated my daughters birthday Saturday night. It was a time to rejoice, to live, laugh and love. It was a time to thank the universe for having given us this amazing young woman, for having created a gift as wondrous as Alexis.
The celebration of her life, of the love we share, continues.

The question is: What are you celebrating today? What wondrous gifts are you unwrapping? Are you looking up and seeing the limitless possibilities of your life soaring into infinity?

No comments: