Monday, October 20, 2008

The present of my purpose

I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. Og Mandino
This weekend was the second component (G2) of the Givers segment of the Choices seminar where I coach. G2 is about Purpose. Identifying your 'Do', of the Be. Do. Have statement. Be committed to Do what it takes to Have the life of your dreams.

When we go into the purpose circle, it is not uncommon to have someone say, "But I don't think I have a purpose."

We fear having a purpose. We fear living up to our purpose. Yet, if we can put our purpose in perspective of, a purpose is what we do everyday that gives meaning to our lives, we will find our purpose is inherent in our everyday living, part of our being.

British mathematician and philosopher Alfred North Whitehead said, “Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude.”

When I first went through G2 as a trainee, I was worried about writing my purpose. My limiting beliefs were keeping me from seeing the limitless possibilities of my life when I live it on purpose. Talking about my purpose felt like dreaming -- and dreams to me are scary. At least dreams that speak of my aspirations, my desires, my goals. My family of origin 'stuff' got in the way of my seeing that my purpose, like my dreams, are unique to me, and very important to my living a life of substance.

Yesterday, as I sat listening to the conversation around 'what is my purpose and why is it important to me?', I realized how far I've come from that scared little girl who never wanted to tell anyone she was frightened, let alone that she dreamed. In the quiet of my heart, I felt my little girl sigh a breath of relief. She was home. She was safe. She was peaceful.

It was an important moment for me. To sit and feel the peace and calm within. To know my inner child is carefree. Safe. Content.

Most of my life, she has been fearful of what might happen to her. What might 'go wrong'. What might be because I was not being my one true self. I was not paying attention to living this one wild and precious life on purpose and with intent. I was not living up to my limitless possibilities and creating an extraordinary life.

Maryanne Williamson writes in, A Return to Love,
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
(A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles", Harper Collins, 1992. From Chapter 7, Section 3])

Who am I to play small? Who am I to not breathe life into my purpose? To not live up to my greatness calling?

My purpose is to 'touch hearts and open minds, to set spirits free'. I can only do that when I live my contract, I am a fearless woman.

When I live fearlessly, I create the meaning in my life. I do the things I am born to do that inspire others to find truth and beauty and value in the experiences of their lives.

When I live 'on purpose', I fly in the jet streams. Free of fear and limiting beliefs, I Dare to Soar.

This morning I embrace my purpose. I embrace all I am meant to be in this world and leap into the void of the unknown of today. I don't know what the world will present. I do know what present I can give the world -- my best. My all. My greatness. I am a fearless woman touching hearts and opening minds to set spirits free creating a world of love, joy and harmony.

The question is: What is your present? Are you willing to share it with the world today? Are you willing to live up to your greatness?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louise, you are an inspiration to all of us at Choices. G2 also allowed me to be clear of my purpose this weekend. "I am a beautiful woman loving and accepting unconditionally, helping others to find their voice." WOW!! It is amazing how beautiful it makes me feel:) Keep soaring!
Hugs,
Debbie Adams - Choices (July 2008)

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise,
I know exactly what you mean. It was hard for me to define my purpose at G2, it felt conceited to me to put into words who I was and who I wanted to be. Dreaming is still not something that comes easy to me, but as I live my Choices tools and grow in God it comes easier. Now, just to remember that every day. My purpose continues to grow as I do, but I'm not afraid of it anymore. :)
I am a free woman, committed to loving others the way Jesus does.

God bless you!
Sarah