Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Falling in love

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - myth is more potent than history - dreams are more powerful than facts - hope always triumphs over experience - laughter is the cure for grief - love is stronger than death. Robert Fulgrum

Grief. A tiny word. Five letters. 'i' before 'e'. A story of precedence. What comes before grief? Love. Friendship. Familiarity. Hope. A belief in tomorrow. A belief in another day. A better day. A different time. A time for endless hello's to fill our day with promise. A time to love.

And then death sweeps in and robs us of that time. That moment. Those endless hellos punctuated by good-byes that do not mean, never more, but rather, until later, until we meet again, until the next time.

In death's embrace we fall and grieve for the one who was lost, for what was lost, for time lost and never to be recaptured.

In grief there is no next time. No better time. No later. Grief consumes all time and steals all hope of a better tomorrow.

Grief.

When love ends, we grieve. We grieve the passing of what could have been, should have been, might have been, if only. We search for ways to give meaning to our pain, to explain the sometimes inexplicable causes leading to loves demise. Sometimes, we talk it out. We make arrangements on how to separate, how to divide loves spoils, how to survive loves loss. We draw up agreements, outline custody and visitation arrangements. We divvy up assets and liabilities, arrange for payment. We divorce and move on with our lives, sometimes poorer but always richer in experience.

When we have loved an abuser, love cannot die. Love never existed. There was no mutual agreement to love honestly, truthfully, respectfully. There was only the abuser's mask hiding his or her intent to deceive. There was only the lie we did not know existed.

In love's vanishing out the door slamming behind their last words, we hang our hopes on one more chance to say, 'good-bye'. On one more time to see their face, hear their voice, be in the presence of the love we believed to be true.

In our grief we plead for one last time. We pray, he will return. We pray, he or she, the one we loved, will come back if only to give us a chance to secure the elusive closure our empty arms yearn for. We want to say good-bye on our terms. We want to have the last word, to make them hear us, see us, feel our pain, witness our anguish. We want to know they understand the harm their passing through our lives has caused. We want them to 'see' how much we love in the hopes that the one we loved, the one we believed to be true, will return. We want one more chance. One more time. One more good-bye.

And so we plead with time to give us this one last chance so that we can come to terms with their good-bye. So that we can steal the time to learn to grieve on our terms.

And that is the lie we tell time. Give us a chance and we will make them hear us, just this once, so we can grieve freely.

It never happens. It can't. Because grieving an abuser is the greatest betrayal of all. In having loved a lie, we can never grieve what never was.

With our empty arms and broken dreams, we must give into grief and mourn for the one who was lost. The woman who was abused. The woman who was lost. The woman who fell. The woman who was betrayed and who betrayed herself. We must mourn for the one we must love the most. Ourselves.

Once upon a time I loved a man who was untrue. He never really existed, though I searched for him between the lines he spoke that were all lies. Between the pages of my journal where I wrote of love ever lasting and promises of happily-ever after. I searched for him in every nook and cranny of my mind, desperately trying to make real the unreal. To make sense of the nonsense that was his passing through my life. I searched and held onto the hope that the pain, the turmoil, the sorrow was all a lie and he would turn up and be true.

It never happened. It couldn't. He was the lie.

And in my facing the truth of his deceit, I grieved. I grieved for the dream that could never be, the love that never was. I grieved for the woman who was abused. The woman who lost herself in the arms of an abuser. I grieved for the pain she endured, the pain she caused. I grieved and cried and wished and hoped and prayed upon every star that the pain would cease, the tears would dry up and my heart would be healed. I prayed for the past to be erased. The lies to be vanished. The horror to be undone.

Nothing can undo the past. There is nothing that can be changed in yesterday.

Grieving a love that never was is part of the illusion of loving an abuser. We look for meaning in our memories and come up empty.

On either side of grief is love.

Grieving for the woman who lost herself in the arms of an abuser, set me free to fall into the arms of love.

In grieving for all that was lost, all that was forgotten on the stormy waters of his lies, I embraced all that was possible when I set myself free to sail upon the sea of love that surrounds me, sustains me, and lifts me up.

Love has no limits. Love knows no bounds. Love is my answer.

Stand in love. Grow in love. Be love.

In mourning for the one who lost herself in the arms of a man who was untrue, I found myself. I found myself and fell in love with all that I can be when I set myself free to live this one wild and precious life free to be all I am when I let go of grief and fall... in love.

It's another Blog Carnival Tuesday! Alternately hosted by Peter Pollock and Bridget Chumbley, this week's word is "Grief". To read other blogs on this word, click here.

14 comments:

Glynn said...

It's taken me a long, long time of living to realize that grief is about ultimately about hope, and loss is ultimately about being found. Great post.

Maureen said...

Too many women are grief-stricken, come to grief at the hands of an un-man who knows only how to give grief.

It is true, I think, what C.S. Lewis wrote of grief, that it's like "a winding valley where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape". Not always, but often enough, the landscape is revealed.

You, in God's grace, found a way to see the vista, to quit grief and let it, in its own time, wear itself out and be replaced by love.

May others come into that same light as well.

katdish said...

Wow. Thank you for your honesty. That was a wonderful post.

Kathleen Overby said...

You words offer such hope, making reality a friend indeed. Beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

I've lived this and you couldn't have written it more eloquently and honest.

Thanks for this wonderful post!

SLM Moss said...

It's hard to make reality a friend when there are days when you see a glimmer of a hope for what you believe(d) was true, when you think, maybe he actually could/does love me. It's hard to chose to let go of love, whether real or imagined. Thank you for sharing, and reminding that sometimes love is a lie, an illusion we are better off without.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Louise ... once again you have taken the words out of my heart and put them on paper, writing what I couldn't. Thank you so much.

Peter P said...

This blog carnival is showing me that I am maybe grieving from an abusive relationship I was in many years ago (I was the one abused).

It's opening my eyes to see things differently.

I have much to process!

JML said...

I can't even imagine the drawn-out grief of abuse. I don't know if I could ever cope with it, but you sound as though you've learned a lot through the whole ordeal. Thank you for sharing it, to give other people insight.

dee said...

Thank you again for the reminder!

So many of your posts are that for me as its taken so long to let go of the illusion of love. The grief and anguish were so deep and overwhelming that I couldn't seem to find my way out, nor cry, or anything else that would have been healing.

Its taken a long time, but slowly I am finding the love again within myself for myself and my family. There are still times when I long for the closure, but I've found ways to have closure for myself. Now I must find the way out of the remaining PTSD, anxiety, and panic that still remains, but there too your posts often help.

Thank you once again for being a light in my life!

dee

Louise Gallagher said...

Hello everyone! Thank you for your comments. I find it inspiring to have men and women connect with something I wrote and then share their thoughts and feelings to illuminate the path even more.

For many of us, looking at our past, we see points of discrimination, of abuse, of being treated less than, of believing we were less than.

The gift of today is -- the past cannot be changed.

The gift in today is -- we have the courage, the ability and the desire/need to heal so that we can walk freely into tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Hugs

Louise

Bernadette Pabon ,Teacher, Director of CCD, Author said...

Your post has taught me a lot.

knoxy said...

Just brilliant. Thank you for putting this to words and sharing so generously. This one really made me weep. Big hugs to you, mama.

JoAnne Bennett said...

Thank you so much for leaving such a kind comment on my blog. I had planned to come and read your thought-provoking post on grief sooner, but I was blind sided by a bad case of H1N1 in the meantime.I am a child care provider and can't have immunizations because I am allergic to eggs. I guess it was just a matter of time that it finally caught up with me. But anyway, I just wanted to say that your words truly struck a chord with me, I actually lost my long- time close friend shortly after my adoptive mother's death and remember crying out the Lord a number of times to please just bring my friend back. I am sure I can learn a lot from reading your posts. Glad to meet you :)