Thursday, December 10, 2009

Twelve Days of Blessings

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. W. T. Purkiser
'Tis the season of joy. Of partridge in a pair tree. Of Christmas lights and children's eyes glowing bright.

'Tis the season to be filled with the spirit of expectation, of anticipation, of preparation, of longing.

'Tis the season of hope. Of patience. Of joy. Of arrival.

'Tis the season of re-birth. Of love ever-lasting.

'Tis the Advent Season.

This morning, I journeyed over to High Calling Blogs to read up on Dan King's "Twelve Days of Self-Promotion" celebration -- which he calls the Twelve Days of Christmas with a techno community touch. I came to Dan's blog through my friend Maureen's Writing without Paper.
Christmas Badge

That's the thing about friendship -- even a friendship formed here in the cyber space of people sitting at desks in front of computer screens in far flung places of the world. Friendship knows no bounds. Friendship doesn't discriminate. It doesn't judge. It doesn't cast stones. Friendship casts a beautiful glow of light that warms hearts and touches spirits around the world connecting each of us in a circle of respect, and love and dignity and joy that keeps on sharing and giving and receiving in an endless circle of caring about one another.

In Maureen's first celebration of the Twelve Days, she wrote about me. WoW. I wasn't expecting it -- and isn't that the best gift? To receive something so cherished, so special, so unexpected that when you receive it your heart breaks open with tears of joy and gratitude?

What an amazing gift Maureen has been in my life. Since meeting her here in cyberland, I have been blessed with reading her words, of being moved by the heart pictures she creates with her poetry and prose. I have met some other amazing people and I have found some incredible gems worth sharing and keeping and cherishing. Like the words of John O'Donohue. How I missed him before I don't know. Having encountered his words through Maureen and through Joyce at Peaceful Legacies, I am a big fan!

So this morning, I wanted to share with you something I found at High Calling Blogs. It started off with clicking on a video he has on his front page and ended up with my searching the music of a man I'd never heard of, Sufjan Stevens who creates under the label -- and you gotta love this -- Asthmatic Kitty Records.

I love Sufjan's mix of folk and tonal sounds and what he calls, 'religious fantasy'. During this, the second week of Advent, in the season of Joy, I wanted to share with you Sufjan Stevens video recording of Joy to the World. In a world where war and crime, hatred and envy rattle our nerves with every headline, may this beautiful song quieten your heart and bring you peace.



So for my Twelve Days of Christmas Blessings, I will be sharing with you a Christmas treasure I have found somewhere in this amazing space called Cyberland. Over the next twelve days I will be sharing the incredible blessings I encounter through this season of Advent.

May we all dance with joy today. May we all know peace. May we all surrender and fall in love.

Nameste.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

The joy is mine, too. I thank you from my heart for your words, which every morning open another window on the world to me.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Louise ... thanks for the music and the inspiration to find something new every day in this wonderful boundaryless world. The only problem is that you and Maureen seem to find the best stuff ... I'm going to have to get serious! ;-)