Sunday, February 14, 2010

That thing called Love.

At the time of separation, Love creates imaginary forms
When Union arrives, the Formless One appears,
Saying "I am the Origin of the origin of sobriety and wine;
Beauty in all its forms is a reflection of Me.
Now, this moment, I withdraw all veils to reveal
Beauty's final splendor, without any intermediary.
For so long now you have been busy with My reflection –
You have won the power now to gaze at My Essence alone."

Jalal-ud-Din Rumi
(Translated by Andrew Harvey from A Year of Rumi)



It is Valentine's Day. A day for lovers to speak and act and express their love in unique and wondrous ways. It is a day for expression.


Not in the commercial, here let me buy you a card, some flowers, how about dinner? kind of way, but in the "I see you. I hear you. I feel you. I know you. You are in my heart, my heart is in you, my heart is beautiful for you," kind of way.

I am a curious being. Not curious as in weird, but rather as in, I am filled with wonder, with questions, with curiosity.

I like to understand. I like to know. What makes me tick? How does my tick fit your talk? What makes the world go around? What makes people stand their ground, in love, or anger, or despair, or hope. What makes people run for higher ground? What makes people human in all their being?
And, I like to know the answers to those questions that awaken me to the mystical, magical, mythical values of life.

One of those question is: What is love?

On this Valentine's Day, my Sunday meditation revolves around that question.

Here are some offerings to guide you, inspire you, awaken you to the wonders and joy of being a loving human being bathed in the kindness of the soul.

She speaks of love. She studies the brain.

And of course, what would a story about love be without asking the question, What is Love. From the 1997 hit, A Night At The Roxbury, Haddaway sings his classic, What is Love?




The Black-Eyed Peas take the question to another level when they ask, Where is the Love?


So, the question today is, Are you willing to LOVE?

Be Love.
Feel Love.
Give Love.
Receive Love.
Know Love.
Share Love.
Stand in Love.
Act in Love.
Speak in Love.
Be in LOVE.

Nameste.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I'd read of the fMRI study but had not heard her speak. I enjoyed her readings of the poets. I hope she never quite finds the answer to the mystery of love, as fascinating as it is.