Monday, April 5, 2010

River Deep (a poem)

River Deep

Memory flows
a river of time
carrying with it
past and present
remembering
that time
where pain flowed
deeply
lost,
stranded in a river of fear.

Memory floats
a balloon of hope
bobbing
on the river
caught up
in the eddy
pulling inexorably
into its spiralling waters
all memory of time flowing
along the shores
passing by.

Memory calls
from glacial pasts
to silt-slick estuary
river flowing, time passing
pulling me under
I release my grip
on memory's rope
and stand alone
stranded
on shifting sandbars
clogged with memory's
insistence I let go.

Memory shifts
land ends
water retreats
I lose
all sense of time
flowing into the river
I find myself
adrift
cast-off memory
floating past
beyond where time fades
into the sea
of life calling me back
to dance at the water's edge.

I let go
and flow freely
into the river
deep
with longing
for a time
and place
where memory releases
remembering
time past
into the waters
flowing by.


I didn't mean to write a poem today! I only meant to write.

And then, I visited Maureen at Writing without Paper, and read her brilliant poem, Sore Chasing Dreams and Glynn over at Faith, Fiction, Friends and got inspired by his beautiful My Western City Dreaming . And then, L.L. Barkat at Seedlings in Stone inspired me to get involved with Random Acts of Poetry at High Calling Blogs.

Write a picture with words L. L. suggested.... Glynn wrote about an old river town. What makes a river old? What ages its banks? I wondered. Time. Memory. Flowing.

And the words flowed and the poem appeared.

Drop into visit L.L. Barkat and read, How to Write a Poem. Get inspired! And just do it! Who knows what might flow free?

9 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I loved this little phrase...

"to silt-slick estuary"

So glad to have you with us for the Celebration. :)

Anonymous said...

LG,

what? you weren't inspired by my poetry! ...

I like your piece - I'd like to publish on 360boom . .. with a little preamble ...

Mark

Maureen said...

L.L. beat me to saying something about "to silt-slick estuary", so I'll add, very fine phrase, that. I also like the sense of "memory's insistence I let go": the wanting to and not being able, especially over something we have no control. And "river deep" is a good metaphor for memory and how it works, how it can be dredged and replaced.

Hugs.

Louise Gallagher said...

How lovely to see you L.L. - and htanks again for the inspiration. And I must get to a Post Office!!!!

Mark --- of course your poems inspired me -- every word is inspiring... just sometimes more than others.

I'd be honoured if you published it on 360boom!

thanks!

Glynn said...

How cool is that! A little of this, a little of that, something takes hold and won't let go and then - bam! A cool poem!

Anonymous said...

BAM! A COOL POEM!

can't top that.

Jeff Jordan said...

Glad you decided to write a poem...
Jeff

Kathleen Overby said...

Welcome to the dark side Louise. :) This is the river of no return, girl.

Lorrie said...

Like this a lot! Also... Kathleen's comment. So true :-)