Monday, July 5, 2010

All my creations

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. George Bernard Shaw
My blog-friend Diane Walker at Contemplative Photography, posed a question yesterday, from Robert Fritz's book, The Path of Least Resistance. She writes, "One of the theories Fritz is offering is that we humans are raised to believe that circumstances, not people, have power, and that our job is to react or respond to circumstances. He proposes that to focus on creativity -- "What can I create?" as opposed to "How can I fix this" will serve as a more productive approach to life..."

It's a really good question.

What can I create today?

It's different than my normal go about my day kind of questioning. Most mornings, I face my desk and ask, "What do I need to get done today?" And then I set about to 'get done' what needs to happen without a great deal of 'how can I be creative in my doing' kind of thinking to guide me.

What would happen if instead I asked, "What can I create today"?

What would happen if, instead of looking at the stack of statistics and results from a survey we just conducted of our clients' health at the shelter where I work which I need to put into a report, and asking, "What's the best way to write this up?", I asked instead, "How can I engage my creativity to create something that reflects the values, principles, beliefs of the organization. What can I create that inspires other creativity?"

Asking myself -- How can I fix this? How did this happen? What's wrong -- with this, me, you? tethers me to the belief, I am a victim of circumstances, flotsam on the tides of fate. Without voice. Without power. Without place. Without creative vision.

Asking myself -- What can I create? puts me in the 'power seat' of my living this one wild and passionate life on fire, in the fire, fired-up about my ability to create substance from my possibilities. I have voice. My voice is unique. My voice matters. My voice makes a difference.

I have spent a great deal of my life on the limited by my thinking, 'leaning backwards to withstand the winds of fate' side of the equation, looking at how to adjust to the circumstances around me, how to fit in, how to make circumstances fit me.

On the expansive side of the equation is the possibility of my creating the fit that fits me. The space that I fill with my creation.

In the First Nations tradition, there is the invocation to the spirits to bless each gathering with the words, "All my relations."

In my life, my invocation becomes, "All my creations."

For today, let 'all my creations' express the power of my being to enlighten paths, expand horizons and touch hearts. Let all my creations awaken spirit and set me free to embrace my greatest expression of me, living my best life yet in a world of wonder and beauty. May I reflect my magnificence of the Divine expression of amazing grace I was born to be in all that I am, all that I do, all that I create.

Blessings on a day of wonder where you are inspired to express the sacred Divinity of your being in all that you do, all that you are, all that you create.

Nameste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LG

thank you

great reminder

when are getting together to walk our pooches?

Mark

Anonymous said...

that is very creative thinking
:-)

S. Etole said...

You always give us much to ponder ... thank you!

Maureen said...

I like Joyce's question, too: What can I allow to be?

Sandra Heska King said...

What Nancy said. Now I'm off to see what I can create.