Friday, October 15, 2010

Unexpected joy awaiting

It's a big day today at the shelter where I work. Our Executive Director of 16 years, the man who took the agency from a night's only shelter to round the clock 365 days of the year services including affordable housing and medical care, is announcing his retirement.

And the media release is on my desk waiting for the send button to be hit.

I had it all set up to go at 6 but a last minute tweak at the Board Meeting last night has postponed the announcements release for a few hours.

and that's okay.

But... I do feel the anxiety mounting. I know what kind of day I'm going to have just by the fact that a reporter called last night because she'd already heard the release was coming out today. She got enough by calling directly to a board member whose a friend of a friend of a friend... to put it into an article in the paper today. So, along with fielding media inquiries of the normal kind, I'll also have to field the calls of irate reporters wondering why they didn't get the scoop too!

Yup. It's going to be a busy day.

and...

Night.

Because at five minutes past midnight, we're catching the Red Eye to Toronto to link up with a mid morning flight to Barbados.

Two weeks. That's how long I'll be gone. Two whole weeks.

I actually can't remember when I last took a two week vacation. Especially one in the sun.

It's normally not my thing this going to the sun-kissed sands of a tropical island. I like moody weather. The west coast of Vancouver Island. Tofino and its winter storms sweeping up the sands bending the fir trees inland. Ucluelet and its rocky shores hammered by the pounding surf with nothing to stop you until you reach the shores of China far to the east... where ever the twain shall meet the west.

Back country in the Rockies. Miles and miles from civilization. Miles of untracked snow and mountain peaks shimmering in the alpine sun. And silence unencumbered by traffic humming on city streets.

That's my kind of regenerative retreat.

And two weeks.

What was I thinking?

That has been my thought for the past week as I've raced to meet deadlines and put to bed projects. I'm still not ready. I've still got more to do than time to do it in.

I've even contemplated not going or cutting it back to one week.

But in the end, the world will spin, the sun will rise and life and death will continue in their inevitable journey of time spent, time lost, time forever gone.

And I shall be basking in a Caribbean sun. Soaking up the breeze and smells and sights and sounds and sheer beauty of the island life.

I'll have my laptop with me -- I actually do have one deadline that I haven't touched yet this week which needs to be completed by October 20 -- and I am committed to getting it done. It's a funding proposal to a Foundation for the art program I started at the shelter. We got through the first round of cuts for the LOI and have been asked to submit the full proposal. The call came late last week and I still haven't had the opportunity to pull together the documents I need to submit the proposal.

So, I'll be taking it with me.

And that's okay.

I'll be inspired by the tranquility and beauty of my surroundings that will make the proposal even more compelling I'm sure!

And, did I mention... I am excited?

I am.

I won't be online tomorrow. We'll be en route -- but I do have a special surprise in my post already scheduled for publishing tomorrow morning (do check it out!). Six of us travelling together. Good friends whose history goes way back. For me, I've known our host couple almost 30 years. They have been my port in stormy waters, my ballast in uncertain times. I'm looking forward to our time together, far from the beaten path. And after an all night flight, and half day journey we'll find ourselves in the Caribbean.

What sheer unexpected joy awaits us? What indolent days will unfold?

And I'll be back here Sunday to regale you with our travels and maybe post a picture or two -- not to make you jealous of course -- just to share in the world around me!

Have a great Friday. Be open to surprise. Be giving of your heart and be of peaceful mind.

Nameste.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

I don't know anyone more deserving of some time off. Leave it all behind, open yourself to the light, and have fun!

Have a safe trip, too.

S. Etole said...

Yes ... be filled with peace and joy and all that brings you life.

Anonymous said...

Have a most wonderful trip to Barbados, enjoy the sand, sun and sea. Just let yourself go and feel yourself fill up with glee! You 2 crazy kids enjoy yourselves!! Much love and a big kiss! Happy travels, BA
PS See you on the 10th... flight is booked!

Brandi said...

Oh my, that sounds amazing. I hope you have a fabulous and relaxing trip!!

Anonymous said...

toes in the sand, baby!

CZBZ said...

Have a lovely time, my friend!


Love,
CZ