Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Let us. Do it. Now.

And so this is Christmas. In the corner of the room, lights glow on a fir tree. The tree we went out to pick together. Laughing and smiling, we sang Christmas carols and wandered amidst the pines and firs in search of the perfect one to bring home. And when we found it, together we brought it into the house, and together we lovingly decorated its branches with glittering glass balls and sparkling ornaments.

And so this is Christmas. The windows are all dressed up in boughs and bows. There's a reindeer on the piano and Christmas ornaments scattered around the room.

Christmas is in the air.

And still, I wait.

This evening C.C. and I will navigate the mall, searching for that perfect something for the someone's we love. I am not into the gift buying. I want to give gifts of the heart. Love. Peace. Joy. I want to share words that sing of my love, to give hugs that carry love from my heart to yours. I am not into the gift buying. I want to spend my time giving. Being together. Sharing. Doing the things we love. Together.

The turkey arrives today. Farm fresh. Free range. Recently plucked. It has given its life for us. Just as in its giving it has sustained a farmer's livelihood. Put bread on his table and food in his cupboards.

The placecards are ready. Together we painted the glasses. Snowflakes. Trees. Musical notes and stars. A name on each stem. To be placed around the table come Christmas night. Preparations are afoot for Christmas dinner. We will be 22 this year. Family and friends. New ones and old. Friendships that have endured the years. Friendships that have been born in the year past, nurtured on the bridge of caring that connects our hearts together.

And still, I wait.

I am inspired by the Christchild story. Inspired by the promise of the One who will come into our world and bring peace and joy to all mankind. I grow impatient. Where is the love? Where is the peace? Where is the acceptance of one another. I grow impatient and wonder, what am I waiting for?

I read of wars and soldiers fallen upon fields of battle far from home. I read of drug lords gunning down innocent children and mother's arms reaching out to capture their child's body before it falls.

I hear of a father killing his children, a mother abandoning hers. I hear of a mother running away from danger, gathering her children to her breast as she knocks at a shelter door, praying they will have room for her tonight. I hear of children crying out for fear they will be left alone this Christmas. Of children calling out for someone to come and ease their pain and fear.

I hear of disease tearing lives apart, of drugs ripping into the hearts of families. Of intolerance pulling apart communities and fear of the unknown polarizing towns, pulling down politicians and pushing up our fear of each other as we take up arms to protect ourselves from our neighbours.

I hear of these things and want to call out, Let us wait no more.

Let us bring peace into our lives today. Right now. Right here.

Let us still the raging heart that would have us hate our neighbours. Let us quiet the angry voices that would have us kill each other. Let us stop picking up arms of destruction. Let usreach out with arms of love.

Let us know peace.

Let us wait no longer.

Let us embrace the message of this child. Let us open our hearts and minds to embrace his message of love, peace and joy. He brings it to all mankind. Not just me and you. But to all of us.

Let us love one another. Care for each other. Let us bring peace to our world. This one world. One planet. One humankind.

Let us. Do it. Now.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Lovely, Louise.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

i want to sit at the kid's table.

Anonymous said...

that has to be the spirit.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com