Saturday, July 21, 2012

Life is an act of creation


When I was a child my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. If you become a monk, you'll be the pope.' Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.  Pablo Picasso
When I was a child, my sister and I spent hours re-enacting scenes from our favourite movies. Gone with the Wind. The Parent Trap. We knew all the characters, all the parts and we each had our favourites.

It didn't matter that our stage was a stretch of lawn or that Tara was a sheet draped over a tree or that we each had to play three or four different parts, differentiating the characters only through our voices as we didn't have time to change wardrobe --  we didn't really have any wardrobe to change into anyway. This was a low budget reproduction -- very creative, just not very accurate.

But none of that mattered. What mattered most was that we spent the time together. Laughing. Sharing. Creating.

When I was a child, I liked to draw. To sing and dance and to play piano. I liked to write and make up stories. To play dolls and the now politically incorrect, "Cowboys and Indians".

It didn't matter to me what the game or activity. What mattered most was that I was being creative. Expressing myself through arts of all nature.

And then, I grew up.

I still liked to write. To create. To make something out of nothing.

But the tone was different. There was something lacking in my creation.

I kept thinking it needed 'A Purpose.'

To create for creation sake just didn't seem to be viable, make sense, have meaning. If I was painting, there needed to be a reason. If I was writing, there needed to be an audience. And, if I was dancing, there needed to be 'the right steps'.

I've grown beyond those 'grown-up' days of believing I need 'A Purpose' to my art. I've grown beyond thinking there are right steps, wrong moves, perfect brushstrokes or perfectly turned phrases.

I've grown into being me. Creatively. Expressively. Passionately.

Today, I know that at my core I am a creative being. That life is an act of creation.

Today, I express myself in ways that fulfill on my belief, and need, to create beauty in the world around me.

Today, I let go of the right steps and move with grace and ease into being each step I take to create beauty in the world around me.

There's freedom in each movement. Freedom in being my creative self.

And, there's joy in knowing every breath I take is an act of creation. Every step I take is an expression of the beauty I want to create in the world. 

************************************************

I am teaching at The Peace Academy on Thursday night next week. My 2 hour course is a guide to making peace with your inner muse -- based on my course -- Right Your Heart Out -- I'll be guiding participants in how to create with joy and freedom from your core creative self.

Do come and play if you're in town!  It will be fun!



8 comments:

S. Etole said...

Sounds like a fun class that you'll be teaching. I chuckled at your opening quote!

Anonymous said...

that should be fun...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

When I was a child I liked to live in my own world, and as an adult I like to live in my own world....... I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up but I just difted through life and still I drift but this is me......

Jennifer Richardson said...

jumping up and down inside
CHEERING
over the beautiful fireworks
of wisdom
in this:):):)
yes.
yes and oooooohhhhhhhh, that
was pretty
over each line and sentence:)
thanks for the creative stir,
Jennifer

Joyce Wycoff said...

How I wish I could be there ... what lucky people to be able to share your joy and wisdom.

Anonymous said...


Happy to see another person on the same wavelength! Nice article.

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived closer ~ I would have loved to have taken your class!

Louise Gallagher said...

Wouldn't that be amazing Misifusa? That would be so much fun...:)