Monday, December 31, 2007

Endings and beginnings


The call, as these calls seem to do, came just after midnight. I missed it. Had forgotten my cellphone was on silent. Wasn't at home when the call came in. Checked my messages first thing this morning and there was my sister's voice. "Mum fell. They're taking her to hospital."

I drove over and saw my mother in the emergency room. "I want to go home," she said. Her glasses hid some of her black eye -- but the swelling was obvious, the cuts and scrapes on her face evident.

"Let's wait and see what they say," I counselled.

She's still there. She's been admitted. It is a good place for her. Depression has always been an issue for my mother, and Christmas is a time fraught with tears and sorrow, sighs of "what's the point", and I want it to end thinking. They'll take good care of her, I know.

A new beginning for the New Year perhaps. A new opportunity for her to get the help she needs. Perhaps an ending to life as she currently lives it. A beginning of life she can enjoy.

To everyone, I send the following wish received today from a friend. Happy New Year.


What amazing gifts the new year brings!

An entire year's worth of wonderful opportunities, given to us one sunrise at a time.

Many of the moments ahead will be marvellously disguised as ordinary days, but each one of us has the chance to make something extraordinary out of them.


Each new day is a blank page in the diary of your life.

The secret of success is in turning that diary into the best story you possibly can.

Have pages on understanding and tales of overcoming hardships.

Fill your story with enthusiasm, adventure, learning, and laughter. And make each chapter reflect time doing these things:


Follow your dreams. Work hard. Be kind.

Do what you can to make the door open on a day that is filled with inspiration in some special way.


Remember: Goodness will be rewarded. Smiles will pay you back.

Have fun. Find strength. Be truthful. Have faith. Don't focus on anything you lack.
Realize that people are the treasures in life, and happiness is the real wealth.

Have a diary that describes how you're doing your best, and...the rest will take care of itself.-

by Douglas Pagels


Have a Wonderful Year!!

No comments: