Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Don't take yourself so seriously.

It was a simple rule, the only rule to follow during the seven days of SuperChoices, the personal development course I took in March -- a rule I often forget in my day to day journey. "Don't take yourself so seriously."

It is a habit. Taking myself too seriously. Unfortunately, clad in the black and white robes of 'let's look at this seriously' thinking, I often forget to look at the world with childlike wonder with eyes wide open to seeing the colours of the rainbow in every raindrop.

Now, there are times when taking myself too seriously does not interfere with my progress in life. Like at church, or maybe at a funeral. But the rest of the time, well, it ain't so simple, nor so black and white.

Take yesterday. I had a call from a reporter asking for information about a situation that has affected the shelter where I work. I knew nothing of the situation and couldn't give her any assistance. When I clicked off my cell, I had a fissure of irritation -- why didn't anyone warn me?

Duh. Maybe because they were busy and didn't have time? Oh, and maybe because I was home sick?

See, in my "I am so important thinking", I often forget that everyone else is important too. I often forget that I'm not the only one who has a life to live! But, because I have a tendency to look at every situation as 'life and death', I get caught up in my belief that if I don't know the answers, it will make a difference. Nope. If I don't know the answer it simply means I have something to learn -- and isn't that what life is all about? Learning. Growing. Evolving. Changing. Becoming. Being.

It's good for me. Laughing at myself. It's healthy. It is also an opportunity to not take myself so seriously. It gives me a chance to laugh at my peccadilloes and say, "Oh look. Aren't I funny!"

Though I'd best not say that out loud. That phrase can get me into trouble in my home. C.C. and my daughters groan when I suddenly exclaim, "I'm so funny!"

Truth is, I'm not funny like a comedian, but I am pretty funny being me, especially if I forget to tap into my sense of humour at my predicaments. I mean, really, who else would laugh at me if I didn't?

Og Mandino says it best, “Laugh at yourself and at life. Not in the spirit of derision or whining self-pity, but as a remedy, a miracle drug, that will ease your pain, cure your depression, and help you to put in perspective that seemingly terrible defeat and worry with laughter at your predicaments, thus freeing your mind to think clearly toward the solution that is certain to come. Never take yourself too seriously.”

So, for today, I'm off to look for rainbows in every corner of the sky, my eyes wide open to the wonder of the world around me. Instead of seeing only dead end alleys and one way streets, the way ahead is filled with roads of limitless opportunity as I step outside my comfort zone and fly free of limiting beliefs that would have me believe it's my way or the highway. Wings spread wide, I soar above the narrow corridors of black and white thinking as my day becomes filled with wonder at the incredible vistas opening up before me.

The question is: Where do you let go of your childlike wonder of the everyday and fall into the trap of seeing only the black and white shadows of how you want the world to be? Where do you take yourself too seriously?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all too true Louise. As the zen master was heard to say, "if you're contemplating suicide, it simply means you're taking yourself too seriously"