Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A new attitude

We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - you can blame anyone but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it? Katherine Hepburn
Yup. Pretty simple. Why do I want to make it so complicated? Especially when it comes to weighty matters.

Over-weight -- or am I under height? It's a weighty matter 'cause weight matters.

As the fifties slide past at the speed of time, I struggle to hold onto the body that was as gravity pulls me down into the body that is spreading out. Taking up more space, widening my horizons, I struggle to lift myself up from the weight of time's drag. I stand up and find myself heavier than ever before.

Ugh. Weighty matters. Losing weight. Losing inches. Losing.

Perhaps the objective is not to lose the weight but rather to gain perspective on the benefits of gaining a sense of accomplishment, a sense of fulfillment on having given up something that wasn't serving me one iota.

Now, I could blame my weight gain on the fact I haven't been able to run in some years due to a bad back, bad knees, bad feet. I could blame my weight gain on my genetic predisposition to accumulate fat cells that like to plump themselves up in case of a famine. You know, my Irish heritage keeps my body geared up to stave off long cold winter months without food.

Or, I could accept my weight gain is entirely of my doing. I am accountable for what I weigh. I am accountable for mis-eating. Mis-directing misdirected food choices into my body. The weight gain equation is fairly simple:
Excessive food intake + decreased activity = weight gain.

Yesterday, I received an email from a beautiful friend. (Thanks LM!) Awhile ago she gave me a gift of a 'shake formula' to assist me in my stated goal of losing weight and achieving better health. She wrote, Have you been doing your shakes girl? My husband has lost 37 pounds! I have lost 19. He has been on the program 15 weeks and I have been on 11 weeks. He is jogging everyday and I am TRYING to exercise more.

Um.... No. I haven't. But then.... I'd give you my list of 5,432 reasons why I haven't taken action but they'd just be excuses. Well, lies really, because ultimately, when I serve up excuses and feed myself on a diet of self-pandering to poor body image, I am lying to myself. There's only one person accountable for my lack of action -- and that's me.

Because, if I wanted to change, I'd change, wouldn't I? It is as simple as that.

Protein shakes. Reality bites. No matter how I cut it, or what excuse I take a bite of, I am accountable. Any change in me has to come from me.

So, I'm putting myself on the track of accountability in weighty matters. I am focused, committed and excited about my goal of claiming my good health. I'm not 'losing weight', I'm gaining perspective. Like Patti LaBelle, I got "A new attitude!"

I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes
Know where I'm goin' and I know what to do
I tidied up my point of view
I got a new attitude

The question is: Where are you blaming anyone and everything for your lack of change? Where are you holding others accountable for your lack of action?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait . . a weighty issue . . I like it; I'd like to publish this but still looking for that other piece you promised!!

Cheers,

Mark

Louise Gallagher said...

I'm getting to it! :)

Feel free to publish this one in the interim!
www.369boom.com