Sunday, March 1, 2009

Unexpected awakenings

If every day is an awakening, you will never grow old. You will just keep growing. Gail Sheehy
Yesterday I had to be at the shelter where I work at 6:30 am to greet some volunteers who were coming in to serve breakfast. One of the volunteers was, Charlie Gay, founder and CEO of HUB, Humanity Unites Brilliance. Charlie is one of those guys who solicits sharing just by the warmth of his smile and gentle eyes.

As I lead him up to the second floor where breakfast is served, we ran into one of the clients who took The Passion Test. Charlie is a good friend of Janet Bray Attwood, so he was really interested in talking to *Chris about his experience with the test. Chris stopped to chat, told him how he really enjoyed the course. How he has his passion card pinned to his locker door and how it is making a difference in his life.

All the while they are chatting, a cameraman is filming the conversation.

We go upstairs and run into several other clients who took the Passion Test. All of whom are exuberant in their responses to what a difference it made to them.

After breakfast, I took the group up to the art studio where several artists were already busily creating. Charlie, needless to say, was impressed and moved by the spirit of the place and people.

And all the while, the cameraman kept filming.

It is so very comforting to watch and listen to the clients as they talk about their journeys, and talk about the changes that are happening in their lives as they expand into the truth of their human condition -- we are all magnificent beings on the journey of our lifetimes. Where ever or human condition leads us, we are always on a voyage of discovery. In our awakening, we bring to light the beauty and spirit of our souls, the gifts and unique talents of our being all that we are meant to be.

It was an inspiring and uplifting early morning awakening. When Allan had called me Friday night to tell me that Charlie wanted to come into the shelter early morning, I was somewhat disgruntled. I had looked forward to a morning of lazing around in bed, reading the newspaper, chatting with C.C., enjoying the day. I didn't really want to go into work.

Sometimes, in the most awkward of times, we find the most beautiful of expression.

Yesterday, surrounded by the energy of the volunteers, the heartfelt and uplifting sharing of the clients with whom he spoke, I felt alive. On fire. In the fire.

Expect the unexpected and you will never be disappointed. It was an unexpected exhuberant start to my day. And I was delighted!

And when I got home, C.C. was just waking up. I climbed back into bed, read the newspaper with him and had the morning I'd looked forward to anyway!

The question is: Are you anticipating the unexpected? Making room for miracles to lighten your day?

*not real name

No comments: