Monday, March 29, 2010

Get in Motion

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. Benjamin Franklin
Inside me is a beautiful butterfly with gossamer wings of stained glass colours. Inside me is a woman 10 feet tall. A woman with the power to see into hearts and hear dreams calling. A woman so powerful nothing stands in the way of her dreams coming true, nothing stops her from claiming her place in the sun. Confident. Radiant and alive.

Inside you is a butterfly with gossamer wings of stained glass colours. Inside you beats a heart so true the universe hears its tattoo and responds with your dream's awakening in the light of dawn.

Inside each of us is the capacity to stand true, stand tall, stand up when the sky is falling and be counted upon to push back against the winds of adversity crashing all around us.

Inside each of us is the spirit of our destiny calling us to get up, get going, get out and be counted for the capacity of our hearts to beat true, for the power of our minds to ring sure and the purity of our dreams to awaken to our hearts' calling us to be free.

Inside...

In his first inaugural address, then US President, Franklin D. Roosevelt stated, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

Inside of each of us is this nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which can paralyze us to retreat when what is called for is advance. Fear which encourages us to do nothing, when what is needed is our taking action. When what we must do is act up to our higher good, get engaged to ensure we make ground against the ennui that would pull us back into the quicksand of our belief, 'I can't help myself,' or 'I can't do it,' or 'I don't know...' what to do, where to go, who to ask, why I should...

I have started my 'Get in Motion' program. Yesterday, my run turned into a vigorous walk with C.C. and Ellie. Today, my commitment is to walk, not ride in the building. Rather than press a button and wait for a mechanically driven room to open up to deliver me from the parkade to the sixth floor, I shall use my legs and lungs to carry me up the seven-stories. It shall be my mantra throughout the day. 'Walk. Don't ride.'

Change is necessary when combating menopausal spread and any other spread of behaviour that would pull me down into believing doing nothing is the best course of action. Doing nothing only gets me more of what I've got. A body I'm not treating with love and care. A life I'm not cherishing with the right foods, right actions, right thinking. Getting active is essential to fighting psychical fitness ennui. Getting active is necessary to combat doing nothing, or doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

My brain registers the need. My mind chatters incessantly about why I don't have time, the right shoes, the right clothes on, the right.... When ultimately, all its chatter is wrong for my getting into motion!

So beginning today, I commit publicly to my Get in Motion campaign. I commit to overriding my lesser good and stepping with confidence into my higher good calling me to take good care of me, myself and I.

'Cause if I don't do it for me, who will I do it for? If I don't do it, who will?

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Your voice comes across so wonderfully strong in your writing. Great campaign. "Get in Motion" applies to so much in our lives. Supporting you all the way.

Louise Gallagher said...

Thanks Maureen for your support!

I parked underground, grabbed my laptop, briefcase and looked at the elevator and walked to the door to the stairwell. I walked up all seven stories -- yipppee for me!

Laura said...

Good for you, Louise! Getting started is the hardest part. I love how you begin this post. Very inspiring. You have me looking inside for that beautiful butterfly today.

S. Etole said...

Thanks for the affirmation ... and for setting an example