Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day's Last Light

Our opinions about ourselves and what we are and are not capable of are often self-fulfilling prophecies. When in doubt, believe in the good, the noble, the valiant. And remember that even small victories are still victories. Kathy Richards
So..... last night, in a fit of 'do something different', I wrote my post for today and scheduled it for posting this morning. It is not my normal way. My normal way is to get up in the morning, meditate, read and then write, letting my words flow from my meditation.

But last night, I read Maureen's poem, Where Laughing Gulls Hover, over at Writing without Paper, and was inspired to write a poem based on the prompt at Carry on Tuesdays, write a poem using the opening lines of Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence: A Novel: In the day's last light. . . .

And so, I wrote my poem. Scheduled it for posting this morning and that was that.

Wrong.

The demons of technology strike again!

I awoke this morning to no saved poem. No scheduled posting in my blog list.

And to add insult to injury, I didn't copy and paste my poem in Word -- which is what I normally do.

My poem is gone.

Which, given that after years of abstinence, I've only started to indulge myself in poetry writing, it hurts even more!

So it was a good thing I read Kat's quote on her blog today, Victory or Death. It's a pretty inspiring post and I invite you to link on over and check it out. Sports fan or not, you might also enjoy Billy Coffey's guest post yesterday, Perfect Game, about pitcher, Armando Galarraga's, perfect game in which he faced twenty-seven batters and recorded twenty-seven consecutive outs, giving up no hits, no runs, no walks, and no errors.

Like my post, it wasn't to be. Not because of something he did, but because someone else made a mistake.

We all make mistakes. May we all, like Armanda Galarraga, learn to accept, with grace, the curve balls life throws us.

For me, my realization of cyberland's mistake started with the thought -- I can't write my poem again. I don't remember it. I can't do it. -- these are my limiting beliefs and as Kathy's quote suggests -- they become my self-fulfilling prophecy when I buy into them.

So, I've decided to 'believe in the good'.

I don't remember my poem from last night. What I remember is the act of writing it. The joy in playing with words, dancing with vowels and consonants streaming onto the page in fat and juicy words and images that stirred up my imagination and set my soul on fire.

So, I decided to take a page from Galarraga's book, accept that mistake's happen and step back up on the mound and get ready to pitch a new game.

The poem is part of Carry on Tuesday - an online invitation to write a poem based on a word or phrase prompt. Anyone can participate. I invite you to pitch in and make magic happen.

Soul Spun Whispers

In the day's
last light
tumbles
into darkness
descending upon
dreams scattered
across faded memory
of love
filling in the gaps
between hope rising
on dawn's promise
lurking
in the day's
last light.

Last light
fades
into dusk
pushing back
dreams
of love
falling
into the siren's call
to come
tread the light fantastic
on the stairway to heaven
rising up
into the last light
of day's falling
into night.

Light
lasts
longer
at the edge of night
seeping
into the darkness
of dreams
never lived
in love's last light
waiting to die
on the soul spun
whispers of promises
never kept
lost
and found
in the dawn
awakening
in the day's
last light.

12 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Well I tell ya, I can't know what you wrote before, but that poem is pretty freaking good. Well done, Louise. I'm gonna believe in the good, too.

Louise Gallagher said...

thanks Billy -- I loved your post on The Perfect Game.

Joyce Wycoff said...

light lasts longer at the edge of night ... that is so beautiful!

Maureen said...

You give us a wonderful example of recovering with grace.

I like how your poem here flows, one line into another, and I especially like "Light/lasts/longer/at the edge of night...."

katdish said...

Ditto what Billy said. I think you're ready to start writing poetry again in earnest.

Thanks for the mention. One never knows where to find inspiration. You just have to keep your eyes open and be aware I suppose.

Anonymous said...

yea!

Anonymous said...

The day's
last light
comes
earlier
to that place
where dreams
hang out
suspended
on the vine
of hope
blossoming
on the dream
of tomorrow rising
in the day's
last light.

Last
light
flickers
in the night
turning off
sleep descending
into hope
heeding the siren's call
to fly off
into that place
where tomorrow
waits in the day's
last light.

Light
lasts
only as long
as day breaks.
Hope lasts
longer
casting shadows
in the day's
last light
waiting
to rise again.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you gave it another shot. Beautifully done.

S. Etole said...

Isn't it amazing what loss can birth?

Anonymous said...

sorry i did not say earlier...but, this is the one i got from you on another post that came through on my google reader today.

maybe it is the one that you poster yesterday??!!!

i was in such a hurry to get cj to her class that i didn't get a chance to explain the poem that i found and then put into your comments here.

i should have e-mailed it i guess.

n.

Louise Gallagher said...

Thank you nAncY for posting my original version of this poem -- what's funny is... I didn't recognize it. I thought nAncY had taken my stream of thought and created something else with it -- lol -- I do write stream of consciousness!

Anyway, I am delighted to have both versions to view -- and for me, both have value!

Very cool

Dina Spice said...

Oh Louise! Just the other day I had such an idea in my head for a poem...sat down and wrote it, messed with it quite a bit, rewrote it and felt so satisfied with what I had ended up with. Well, in my frenzy of writing, never hit "save" until I was done...upon saving it, the computer froze up for some unknown reason. No matter what I did, I had to restart the darn thing. Nothing of my poem was saved. I felt so defeated. I feel your pain.

ANYWAY, that aside, what you came up with the second time around has a real lovely feel to it. I like the sounds of your word choices when read out loud.

- Dina