Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I am. You are. And we're OK.

...My greatest personal growth has often come about during or after significant loss. Shedding my leaves is less painful when viewed through a wider lens, allowing me to embrace humility and prepare for the next productive season. Barbara Reid -- from her artist's statement

I have been angry for some time now. Not the throw a vase and smash a fist through a wall kind of anger but rather, the quiet slow burning that erodes the edges of my peace of mind, searing the ground of my tranquility.

I haven't really acknowledged this anger. Chosen instead to let it slow burn like a prairie grass fire not yet extinguished rooting around underground.

It is my way.

To not give my anger breath. To harbour it instead amongst my thoughts of being filled with peace, never giving voice to what I deem to be my 'lesser emotions'.

Even anger has a purpose and fire always seeks oxygen, even when it's burning underground.

I know I'm carrying this anger, husbanding its flame like a squirrel burying its nuts. I tell myself I don't mean to -- but I do -- mean to hold onto my anger. Sometimes, unexpressed anger is the only thing that fuels my thinking into clarity.

And sometimes, holding onto anger is me playing my best self-defeating game to ensure I don't have to come clean out of my victim's place into the light of 100% accountability for me, myself and I.

What I fear I create.

And when I fear being 100% accountable, paving over its expression with unexpressed anger, I create detours around peace of mind, always skirting the issue of where I'm at in any given moment in my quest to experience the rapture of now.

So, this is my 'fess-up' moment.

I'm kinda angry that my relationship with C.C. has hit such rocky ground. The fire's gone underground and I'm standing on the bedrock to my resistance of letting go. I'm standing on the cusp of what I perceived things to be resisting reality's embrace in all its complexity and simplicity and truth.

See, it was supposed to be easy.

I love you. You love me. Together we will always be.

Oh, and in that together, in case I forgot to mention, you will do it my way because don't you know it? I know the way. And my way is the right way unless you want to take the high way and high tail it out of here in your own direction. But don't expect me to follow. I don't follow. I lead.

harumph.

Leadership is lonely at the top when everyone else is busy falling down, because they've missed my way in their quest to find their own way to where they want/desire/need/can be.

Yup. That's me and my anger. It's not about him or anyone else. It's about me and my perceptions of right and wrong. High roads and low roads. Alleyways and byways. It's about getting stuck in my own stuff, being absolutely convinced -- I'm right. Which means, and do I really have to say it?, you're wrong.

Time to dance it off. To quit dancing around my stuff by poking at his stuff. Time to live. Fearlessly. Completely. Passionately consumed by the fires burning within, compelling me to be absolutely 100% okay with where I'm at and who I am in this moment.

C.C. has his path. It is just that -- his path. Neither right nor wrong. Just different than mine.

I have mine. And I tell myself all the reasons why mine is best -- because, as I said -- I know the way.

Uh huh.

gotta admire C.C. He has resisted my way as passionately as I resist giving into letting go of knowing the way.

And that's the beauty of this moment. I am lighter for having faced my fear of letting go of my knowing to tumble laughingly into the power of not-knowing.

I can only be me. And sometimes, being me gets caught up in my righteousness, my insistence that if you won't let me be me, then who can I be to make it 'all right'?

Ain't no 'all right' in love.

Love isn't about right and wrong.

Love is about letting go of right and wrong and moving with grace and ease into that place where who we are is perfectly okay just the way we are.

Harumph.

Time to let my lesser emotions rise to the top. Time to give them air so that I can breathe freely in this place where I am holding onto nothing but the truth. I am OK. Exactly the way I am.

Love is not war. Nor is it a battlefield upon which my ego dukes it out with yours until one of us gives in and let's go of our self expression to become another's self looking for expression in our self.

Hmmmm.... now that's contorted!

Love is...

an action. A verb. A noun. Intransitive. Intransient. Love is everything we make it to be. Believe it to be. Want it to be.

And... it doesn't have to be anything other than what it is...

A word we use to describe a feeling that sometimes confuses, frightens, inspires, enlightens, confounds, bewilders, perplexes, strengthens....

Time to shed the definitions of love and move from that place where love is defined by what I want it to be. Time to move into that place where love is what it can be when I let go of anger, sorrow, regret, the past, and anything else that would keep me believing I am not who I am meant to be in someone else's eyes.

And, time to take my eyes off of seeing someone else as not being who they are meant to be, or where they're meant to be right now, right here.

Time to take my sights off anger and fear and hope and promise to move with grace and ease into humility where I surrender and fall....

In Love.

I am.
You are.
And we are all OK,
just the way we are.
Because where we are
is where we're at
and what could be
better than that?

Special thanks to Maureen at Writing without Paper for the essay this morning on Barbara Reid. You inspire me!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

LG,

we can love people - up close, from afar, for a while, or forever - but that is always a one-way street, a singular effort

whether someone loves us back, loves us in anything remotely resembling the same way is unlikely, rare and curious

people love us because they do, they do it their way; sometimes we know they do, sometimes they are people we don't even know, but they love us just the same

just as you acknowledge his path, don't YOU need to acknowlege YOUR path?

following our own path is often a lonely AND solitary trip ..... but one we must take

when we are luckiest, someone who loves us as purely as we love them, pulls up next to us, travells in the next lane for a while, sometimes for a long while

that's nice

not a solution to any of our own problems or issues, but really nice

sometimes we bump into them at the breakfast table too, but often not there . . or anywhere

we all wander, that's our nature; we just need to make sure the WE aren't lost, that WE know where WE are .... and others have that responsibility to themselves

they owe us nothing

we owe them nothing

we owe ourselves the self-love that says 'my way is OK, I am OK, I will be OK .. my way'

hugs and much love my friend,

Mark

Louise Gallagher said...

Thanks Mark -- that is actually the point of this -- my path is my path and it's perfect for me! And sometimes, my path is unclear to me until I get out of my own way, step out of my ego and move into my heart :)

Hugs back at ya!

Louise

Maureen said...

I'm throwing in a few more hugs. Just because they are so awfully good to give.

Louise Gallagher said...

And I'm hugging you back!

Thank you my friend.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Louise ... I see a glow of clarity growing around you ... make it bring you warmth, peace and the opening of new doors.

Unknown said...

Major kudo's for being so honest...thanks for sharing!

Jay

Dave Cunnin said...

I find solace and strength in the words of Hermann Hesse:

"Love isn't there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure" (Novel "Peter Camenzind)

An eastern sage wrote:

"Peace comes when expectations end"

I find that if I transcend my expectations (personal suppositions regarding the path of love of another) I find the true gift - peace inherent in discovery and love of myself

Anonymous said...

that old relating can get a bit rocky all right!

but, it is good to write about it, for sure. i think that the writing can help smooth out the rocky roads.

knoxy said...

I can so relate to this, mama. Thank you for sharing so openly. You are such an inspiration to me.
xoxo

Louise Gallagher said...

Ah yes, the end of expectations.

Writing of it clarifies where expectations muddy up the waters of love and life.

S. Etole said...

just holding your heart ...