Monday, February 6, 2012

Someday is Now Day

As human beings, we like comfort. We like the familiar, the known, the 'I'm doing this because it's all I know how to do. It's all I've ever known."

We are born to hold on, to keep hold of what we knew before we experienced what we know now. Like a balloon filling with air, we try to stuff everything we know into one container and never let it out in the hope, or belief, it will come in handy someday. It will all makes sense, someday. It will all work out, someday.

Someday is now day.

Years ago, when I first started working at a homeless shelter, I started an art program. Every Thursday night and Saturday afternoon, I'd invite clients to come up to the 6th floor multi-purpose room and share the quiet of the space and the joy of painting.

There was one man who sat at a table on the second floor every day and painted beautiful water colours on a small board, his paints on the table beside him while all around him the room buzzed and vibed with activity and commotion.

"Why don't you come up to the multi-purpose room and paint with us," I'd ask him every time I opened the room for painting.

"I'm not ready," he'd reply. "Someday. Soon."

Finally, after one more repeated, "I'm not ready," I asked him if he'd chosen a date when he would be ready.

He shook his head. "No. Not yet."

"Then why don't you just make it today? Why not make today, someday."

And he did and he went on to paint amazing works of art, to write music and songs and poems and to become a valued and integral member of the Possibilities Project, an art-based initiative I developed at the shelter that incorporated the full-spectrum of the arts to provide clients, staff and volunteers an opportunity to explore their human condition and shared experiences through visual and performing arts.

Someday is now.

Someday isn't in the future. It doesn't have enough clarity and substance to last that long.

Someday is now.

If you're struggling with holding on, with not letting go, with not giving up on something that just isn't giving you peace of mind or joy or laughter and love, ask yourself, "Am I holding on for someday?" "Am I hoping for someday to fix my life, change my outlook, move my perspective?"

'Cause if someday is on your calendar somewhere, anywhere, make it today that someday comes true. Make today your release from holding on to waiting, wishing and hoping for someday to come and set you free.

Namaste.

1 comment:

S. Etole said...

What a gift of encouragement! The somedays and the someones are right at hand.