Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Focussed attention on what I do

Scientist, Jack Dixon, wrote, "If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results."

In my recent bout with ill-health, I lost 15 lbs. Last fall, I set a goal of losing 20 lbs, lost ten, gained five, and then kept saying I was going to lose more, and never did.

I wasn't focused on changing my health paradigm, I was simply focused on the number of pounds I said I wanted to lose.

In getting sick, I lost weight -- and now risk gaining it back unless I shift my paradigm and switch my focus from the numerical value of 'weight' to the concrete value of the changes I need to make in my health regimen to live a healthier life. Maintaining this weight is important, and I still have an an additional 10 pounds to get to my ideal weight. Most importantly, however, is to live the life of my dreams, I need to be fit, active and healthy.

There's more than just vanity at stake. My body works better when I carry less baggage. I feel better. I feel more confident, more balanced -- and most importantly, I feel healthier.

This morning when I awoke, I made a decision to shift my paradigm from a focus on losing weight, to a commitment to achieving good-health. I read a catchy phrase the other day I'm going to pin above my computer and on my fridge door: Think Smart, Eat Well and Move More! Being aware of my decision is the first step. Putting concrete action to work for me, will help me attain my goals -- and in the process achieve my desired results.

For today, rather than focussing on my end goal of losing weight, however, I'm going to focus on that phrase, Think Smart, Eat Well and Move More. And, I commit to change my habits, not weight. Three things I can do differently today are: 1. Use the stairs at work. 2. Drink more water. 3. Take Ellie for a walk this morning, and a longer walk this evening -- on leash. When I take her off-leash, she bounds about too much for her hips, and I don't walk as much. I'll do a neighbourhood explore -- see how many streets I can walk this week I've never walked before in this neighbourhood. I'll make it a game. Find out how many houses have.... black doors versus wood. Glass panel inserts. Not quite sure of the game but I know I can make one up that will add fun to our neighbourhood wanderings!

The question is: What do you focus on? What you want to get or on doing what you need to do to achieve your goals?

No comments: