Monday, March 3, 2008

Living on purpose

The sun pushes night from the eastern sky and I awaken to a brand new day.

My first day back at work after being off sick for two weeks. My first day of the rest of my life.

What kind of day will I create?

I know I can't control all the events in my day, but I can prepare myself for my day by putting controls on my moods, my thinking, my actions. I can determine how I respond to the events beyond my control.

In an article I recently read at Lovefraud.com, Dr. Liane Leedom quotes a recent study that states 1 in 30 US males between the ages of 20 and 34 are behind bars. It's estimated that 30% of the prison population are sociopathic.

One of the attributes of a sociopath is poor impulse control -- the ability to think before taking action, to pause before causing harm.

This morning, as I think about what kind of day I will create, I acknowledge that my impulse control will be a key factor in what I create in my world, harmony or discord?

The choice is always mine.

I can start with the intent to create harmony, but still end up making choices that engender discord if I let my feelings compel me to react without thought.

When my eldest daughter was young, one of her favourite sayings after an action of poor impulse control was, "I can't help myself."

I always responded with, "If you can't help yourself, who can?"

There is no one else who can create a better world for me. I'm it. This is my one wild and precious life. No one else can live it for me. No one else can change it for me. No one else can be it for me -- I'm it.

When I read Liane Leedom's article on the importance of the values and principles we as a society extol and uphold, I turn my light back on me and ask myself -- what will I do today to create a better world?

Thelma Box, founder of Choices, says her purpose is to 'change the world one heart at a time'. Everyday she focuses on her purpose and ensures what she does is creating a world of change reflective of caring, loving hearts.

For me, my purpose is to 'touch hearts and open minds to set spirits free'. To ensure I am living on purpose, I must focus each moment of my day and commit to taking action -- even when my impulse is to act out -- that enliven my purpose and create harmony in the world around me.

I can't change the world, but I can change the world I live in by living it on purpose. If each of us do that -- we will be changing the world!

The question is: What kind of day will you be creating around you? What's your purpose today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My purpose today is to find a moment of peace, if only for a moment to celebrate a small step forward....

Tiny moments, even only for a fraction can lead to more moments hopefully....disconnected yet not continual...but tiny moments none the less.

Today I choose to celebrate moments of peace for myself.