Monday, November 17, 2008

Hearts on purpose

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. George Bernard Shaw
Yesterday, I coached in the Purpose room at Choices. Six women whom I had never met before sat in a circle, surrounded by other similar groups who were also there to claim their purpose. Some were eager. Some had trepidations. Some didn't believe they could 'do it'. "I mean, really. What if I don't have a purpose?"

God doesn't make junk.

Their coach, who had guided them through the past two sessions of the seminar in the previous months, and I were there to guide them into acknowledging their purpose. That 'thing' they do, every day, without even realizing it. The things they do intuitively which give meaning to their lives, that reflect their beauty and heart back into the world with every breath they take.

Everyone has a purpose. It doesn't need to be something grandiose like, climb Mt Everest or find the cure for cancer. Our purpose is based on the things we do, everyday, without even thinking. It's a statement of what we do that gives meaning to our lives and the lives of people we meet -- not just our family and friends, but everyone.

In Choices talk a purpose is stated after your contract, your contract being the statement of what you want more of in your life. For me, my purpose is followed by my intent, the HAVE of my BE. DO. HAVE -- with the contact representing the BE, purpose the DO. "I am a fearless woman touching hearts and opening minds to set spirits free to dance in a world of love, joy and harmony."

Yesterday, as I sat in the room listening to the conversations, feeling the energy and vibrancy of 100 people working together to create something awesome for their lives, I was in awe.

All of my life I have yearned to be surrounded by people speaking of heart matters.

My dream has come true. At Choices, I am surrounded by people speaking from the heart, living with heart, creating heartfelt lives which, in concert with the purpose of Thelma Box, the founder of Choices, is changing the world one heart at a time.

Listening to the stories of the six women I was working with yesterday, I felt blessed to be part of the moment of realization each came to as their purpose awoke within their hearts and minds. It is an awesome feeling to know that someone 'gets it'. That moment of acknowledgement when they can say, "Hey. I do have a purpose. I've been doing it all my life. Wow!"

Acknowledging our purpose is like waking up to a perfect morning and breathing in the fresh clear air of a new dawn breaking upon the horizon. Possibilities abound. Potential expands as we breathe in the freshness of the morning, our senses alive to the textures and sounds and beauty of the world around us. On purpose, we know nothing can stop us. We know we are magnificent human beings.

On purpose, it doesn't matter what greets us when we step into our day. Sometimes, we may forget about the beautiful sunrise, the perfect day unfolding as we journey into the mundane elements of life, the trials and tribulations of the human condition. Sometimes, our breath may become short and quick, just filling our lungs enough to give us air to get by. But always, we are on purpose -- even when we don't acknowledge it.

Living on purpose is like walking in a rose garden knowing we will not be pricked by the thorns. Armed with our contract, we find the courage to seek out our path. We take a deep breath and feel our way through our hearts opening up in love. We become all our senses. The fragrance lifts us up. The colours awaken our imaginations. We taste the breath of freedom and step purposefully along the path of beauty all around us. We are part of the beauty. We are the beauty.

It was a magical day. Mystical. Divine.

I was on purpose in that moment of living my life with intent.

The question is: Are you stopping to smell the roses and getting caught up in the thorns? Or, are you stopping to smell the roses and letting your senses awaken you to the wonders of the world as you purposefully step into the beauty of your heart blossoming in love?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those 6 women in that group. You said that you always wanted to be Dagny Taggart. I believe that you are Dagny Taggart and much more! As I said yesterday, there is magic in you! What a priviledge for me to have met you. I have not yet read the Dandelion Spirit but it will be the next book that I read.
I am spending this evening reading articles from this site and I am in awe! Your writing is a gift.
Thank you,
Laura Lea

Louise Gallagher said...

Thank you Laura Lea. I love your name!

It was a privilege for me to be there, to be part of your special group, to share in the beauty of each of you.

Your magic is contagious!

Thank you!

Louise