Thursday, January 21, 2010

In flight

She leaves today. This winsome, lissome, 20 some years of amazing young woman who lights up the room with just her smile.

She leaves today -- and I am happy.

There's a wonderful video story by David MacNally and Mac Anderson about an eagle who, in the process of helping her babies fly, must push them from the nest -- because if she didn't, they would stay forever stuck in the belief they don't know how to fly. It's called, Even Eagles Need a Push. At one point, the mother Eagle asks, "Why does the thrill of soaring have to begin with the fear of falling?"

MacNally and Anderson then write,

"The Push
Sometimes we need it.
Sometimes we need to give it.
It can be the greatest gift you ever give
It will change a life forever."

My daughter leaves today. Flying away. Flying free. Flying freely. Flying.

She is soaring into her future with wings of light. Lifted up by love. Forever carried in my heart.

And in her flying free, she reminds me, staying stuck on the ground is for turkeys.

Dreams are meant to be lived, not carried unopened like an umbrella carted around just in case of rain.

Lives are meant to be experienced in flight, not stuck here on the ground.

Taking a lesson from my daughter, today I challenge myself to spread my wings, to leap and soar into freedom.

A friend wrote this morning that he is about to do an 'adult' thing this month. Become a partner in his firm.

I admire him. I've known him for many, many years and in his embracing a dream today, he too reminds me,

Dreams are the currency of a life lived passionately in the rapture of now.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Mothers just seem to know when to let go and when to hold close. We're pretty terrific I'd say.